Have you ever had a sore spot on an arm or leg and rubbed a patch of Tiger Balm, only to have your pet get affectionate and lick you? Or maybe they lick your hand to get your attention before you've had time to wash your hands? This could be a serious issue, resulting in an immediate call to the Pet Poison Helpline.
Camphor is commonly found in topical pain or arthritis body rubs. Examples of some common trade names containing camphor include Carmex, Tiger Balm, Vicks VapoRub, Campho-Phenique, etc. Camphor is readily absorbed across the skin, and should never be applied to dogs or cats due to risks for poisoning. Clinical signs of camphor poisoning in pets include local skin irritation, nausea, vomiting, diarrhea, depression, seizures (in large amounts), and even rarely, death (from respiratory depression or seizures).
Poisonous to: Cats, Dogs
Level of toxicity: Generally mild to moderate
Common signs to watch for:
Local skin irritation
Seizures (in large amounts)
Death (rarely, from respiratory depression or seizures)
Alternate names: topical, Carmex, Tiger Balm, Vicks, VapoRub, Campho-Phenique, Arthritis Rub
If you think your dog or cat were exposed to camphor, call your veterinarian or Pet Poison Helpline immediately for treatment advice.
Hear From Us Again
Don't forget to subscribe to our email newsletter for more recipes, articles, and clinic updates delivered to your inbox (here). Or, you can keep up to date by liking and following our Facebook page (here).