Fall is here! You know what that means? Pumpkin spice lattes! No, no. Pumpkin Pill Pockets! Ever have trouble getting your cat or dog to swallow a pill prescribed by your vet? Entice them with a supposed pumpkin-flavored treat. Similar to the soft texture of a Greenies pill pocket, these pill pockets include pumpkin, which is a great for your pet’s digestive tract in reasonable portions (too much and it will soften the stool).
- 2 tablespoons of any fine flour you have on hand*
- 1 tablespoon of milk (dairy, coconut, and almond milk all work just fine)
- 1 tablespoon of pureed pumpkin
* Use a flour that does not already contain yeast, which your pet should never eat, as it will cause the dough to expand in your pet’s stomach.
- Combine all ingredients and mix with a spoon
- Form into balls appropriately sized for your pet
- Use the end of your spoon or your finger to create a hole in the center of the pill pocket
Place pill into center, pinch dough sides to close pill in
9 pill pockets, give or take based on pill pocket size
!!! Pill pockets can remain in a ziplock in the fridge for a week, and up to three months in the freezer.