Keep your pet happy and healthy and out of harm's way this Halloween with these 5 tips!
Keep candies and candy wrappers away from pets.
Chocolate is dangerous and sometimes fatal for cats and dogs if consumed. Symptoms of chocolate poisoning may include vomiting, diarrhea, rapid breathing, increased heart rate, and seizures. Candies containing the artificial sweetener xylitol can also be poisonous to dogs. Even small amounts of xylitol can cause a sudden drop in blood sugar and subsequent loss of coordination and seizures. Don’t forget that the wrappers treats are contained in can be harmful or a choking hazard for your pet.
Keep pets confined indoors and away from the door.
Halloween is the prime holiday for vicious pranksters to take advantage of animals left outdoors. Avoid any harm done to your pet by keeping them indoors. Black cats especially fall victim to unjust mistreatment during the month of October.
Your door will also be frequently opening and closing, revealing strangers in unfamiliar attire. This may frighten or upset your pet, especially dogs, who become territorial. Secure your pet in a room away from the noise and activity of the night.
Keep pumpkin gourds and autumnal decor out of reach.
Although nontoxic, pumpkin in large quantities can lead to gastrointestinal upset. Lit pumpkins around your pets is also dangerous, as well as decor which they can chew on an ingest. This goes for your furry friend gnawing on electrical cords to lights, causing a life-threatening electrical shock.
Don’t dress your pet up in a costume unless you know they love it.
Check for their ability to move freely and do not constrict their ability to breathe or make noise. Also note any allergic reactions or odd behaviors prior to the day by trying the outfit on beforehand.
Be sure your pet either has a tag or is microchipped prior to the festivities should they find a way of escaping, be it due to all the activity or parties. Read up on the safe practices of microchipping your pet.